About the Club
The club has been at its present site for more than one hundred years and will celebrate its sesquicentennial in 2013.
The Metropolitan Club is one of Washington's oldest and most valued private institutions. Since its founding in 1863, at the height of the Civil War, by six Treasury Department officials, it has pursued its primary goal of furthering "literary, mutual improvement, and social purposes." Today, nearly 150 years after its founding, the Club continues to attract distinguished members from around the world.
The Metropolitan Club's proximity to the White House and other icons of the nation's capital has made it a destination for many local, national and international leaders, including nearly every U.S. President since Abraham Lincoln. Its location and dedication to a tradition of social civility provide members with a haven from the bustle of Washington's professional life, while offering amenities associated with contemporary urban living.
The clubhouse, which opened in 1908, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a District of Columbia historic landmark. The establishment of the Club's Preservation Foundation in 1998 assures the perpetual protection of our historic building.